Monday 11 September 2017

SPECIAL .....

 
It was one of those days when I feel like I contribute nothing, just sit here in my wheelchair, etc etc, at a time when to be disabled means that you are no longer a worthwhile person.  Then I remembered how, when my daughters were small, I used to tell them how special they were and how there was no-one in the whole world quite like them. This got me wondering why I wasn't feeling that way, until I realised I needed someone to remind me ... and since there was nobody else I looked in the mirror and said "you're special, Rosie, you are a unique person who has work to do".

And that got me thinking about the fact that everyone has days when they feel this way, and everyone needs someone to remind them how special they are.  So I made this page for me, but also for YOU - special people with SO much to give to the world around you, no matter on how small a scale you have to operate.

I painted a central panel on the page a nice cheerful yellow - I know it looks a bit greeny but it IS yellow - and used the baby wipe technique to blot it off and make interesting marks in the paint.
As you can see, I left a white space around the edge because I knew I was going to make a border.  As usual I just pulled out pieces of collage gleaned from magazines and other places and cut out sections to edge and overlap.
When I added a grey shadow edge (Promarker) and a strong black line (Posca paint pen) it started to look less random and more of a unified whole.
The face came next - following my policy of always using something human to ground the page - and then I think the rest is self explanatory?  Its a page to look at on one of "those" days when you feel useless and pointless, a page for us all to remember that actually we ARE special, and each of us makes a difference in our own unique way.
Then finally came my favourite part - the doodling and drawing. Not sure that the white squiggles show up as much as I wanted them to, but what the heck ... its my page and it isn't perfect, any more than I am.

I now have an additional (presumptive for now) diagnosis of Psoriatic Arthritis, and that has rather stopped me in my tracks for a while.  I did some crying and complaining, and a bit of itsnotfairing, but now I'm just getting on with it as best I can.  Some days are better than others.  My Beloved said (with perfect truth) ... "never mind love, you were sitting down anyway".

6 comments:

Denise said...

Hi Rosie - I just want to pop in from California and let you know that I enjoy your art and your blog, and you very much make a difference in my days--and my art. I learned about Posca pens from you for example, and I am inspired by your mark-making all the time. So yeah, keep on listening to that voice of wisdom inside--its truth!

Cath Wilson said...

Amen to that! And yes, you are very special and your art is an amazing contribution, as is your continuing optimism in your circumstances!!! Bless you. Your posts always brighten my day. God bless xxx

alexa said...

Hello Rosie and I am sad to read how down you can feel - and marvelling at your ability to turn things round for yourself (and us) through your journalling and beautiful artwork. I love the writing on wavy lines - liked being gently rocked as I read it! Sending you warmest good wishes ... x

Dawn said...

Oh goodness, never rains but it pours as they say. As if fibrosis wasn't enough! Just looked up psoriatic arthritis and it sounds horrible. Your pages always resonate with me because you often say exactly how I feel. Loving your page as always and love the colours. Sending gentle hugs xx

Dawn said...

Silly predictive text, fibro not fibrosis obviously xx

Ruth said...

I love reading your blog and your art is so inspiring, I'm very glad to have found you!