Saturday 27 May 2017

MAKING ART ....

 
Himself and I have been going to art as therapy sessions to which I'd been invited as part of the pain support group I attend, and he got to go as my carer.  Since we retired he's become interested in drawing, and it was lovely to find something we could do together. The only drawback is that the meetings take place well into the afternoon, when I am beginning to run out of energy and fade away ....

So what I try to do is paint a background before we go, and then take a limited supply of materials and challenge myself to do something just using those.  Himself takes a pencil, a sketchbook and a rubber eraser, and he's good to go.  My supplies always seem to need a shopping bag, even if I am trying to simplify.

So below was where I began - just using one of the circular shapes in the background to write in, and trying to express something of my amazement at what happens when I just "go with the flow" and allow something to happen.
I really got into it and forgot to take very many pictures, but I do remember that the first thing I did was draw the circle shapes inside the writing.  I do love wobbly circles because while I might struggle to draw a proper one, a wobbly circle looks artistic and as if it might have been meant!  Imperfection is very liberating!

And for some reason having worked in curved shapes I suddenly went all spiky and drew these jagged shapes, which somehow for me express the POWER that seems to move me when I'm working.
I did a bit of scribbling too - I promised myself I would - these are also very liberating, I mean you can't do them wrong can you? Everything here has been done using Posca Paint pens because that was all I took with me.  I think they are what I'd save in a fire ... and all the other 12 journals of course!
Now I had every intention of doing a LOT more than this, of filling the space with all kinds of exploding patterns and general loveliness, but I didn't.  Its possible it was only late afternoon tiredness but the page just seemed to be finished, so I stopped.

We aren't going to that group any more.  Turns out neither of us liked it much and only went for the sake of the other, but neither of us wanted to say so and spoil it for the other!  Once we had confessed, and since the timing was difficult for me, we've given it up.  In one way its a shame because it was nice to do something arty together.  Now if only the trusty wheelchair could navigate the gorgeous sand dunes just a couple of blocks from home, I could sit and make (sandy) pages while he happily sketched.  Alas, wheelchairs don't like sand or gravel, or a host of other surfaces .... :(

5 comments:

Emie58 said...

Just a thought here... create your own creative time together. Go to a park where there are picnic tables or the like and take a TV tray (do people still have those?) to put your supplies on and himself can draw the surroundings.... or go to a coffee shop. Find a way to make it work for the both of you if it's something that makes you both happy. Nothing fancy is needed to create art with each other even if you're working in different mediums. Good Luck!

Carol said...

As always a yummy page xx I wish your beach was wheelchair friendly too - I do hope that Himself and you do get to enjoy some more arty time together somehow - HUGS xxx

Dawn said...

This page is lovely, less is more sometimes as the saying goes. Such a shame about the group xx

Unknown said...

I just found your blog on Pinterest and went through post after post looking at your art. Your pages are just beautiful and an inspiration. Looking forward to seeing more!

Sande said...

How wonderful that you and Himself went to Art Therapy together. Always nice to discover that something you thought your partner might not have a interest in does. Like the previous poster I would create your own art therapy session. Like you my wheelchair won't go on the sand but that doesn't stop me. I just go up the beach promenade and sit as close to the sand as possible with a clipboard, colored pencils or markers and draw or paint. Or maybe a park with benches and tables. My grandson (age 13) did that last Saturday and he created a wonderful page while I colored a image with Copic Markers. Another amazing page with lovely colors.