Tuesday 28 February 2017

BRAVE ... NOT REALLY

This page is another one about losing a very dear friend.  Tomorrow will be her funeral and I don't know how I'm going to get through it.  But then again, for the sake of my friend's daughters and husband, I will find a way but only with God's help.

It was just a simple background using two colours of green acrylic paint, and I started to collage the edges with monochrome because it felt right for a mourning piece.
And here it is with the collaged edges complete.  This is the simplest way I know to begin a page - to put a frame around it - and I wasn't feeling up to anything fancy.
Below you can see how I then joined all the elements together with a black outline and a little bit of doodling - it makes such a difference and kind of unifies the result.  The image of Frida Kahlo is there because she was a brave woman, and a heroine of mine who lived through a lot of pain ... so her face is to remind me that I can do it too.  Notice how some colour creeps in - it seems I can't help it.
The writing just says how I was feeling - dreading the day and yet wanting to testify to the great love I felt for my friend.
The red flowers were not only to fill up space but to symbolise strength and my wish to celebrate a life well lived, even if it was shorter than any of us hoped.  So these are brave flowers to remind me to give thanks that she was in my life for 35 years ...
I'm so sorry if my posts have been relentlessly negative recently - there has been a lot of difficult stuff to get through.  Its part of the journey of everyone's life and journalling about mine is my therapy. I share it in the hope it might touch your life too.

3 comments:

Denise said...

I am very sorry for your loss. I want you to know I love your posts and your art, and recent works of course reflect just what you're going through right now. No apologies needed! I hope you experience better times soon.

Leslie said...

so sorry for your loss.

alexa said...

And I am late in arriving here, and realise this day will have come and gone ... and hoping that somehow you were sustained through and beyond it. For grieving is a long journey ... The image and colours have a great strength (and perhaps you do too :) x).