Tuesday 31 January 2017

NIGHT REFLECTIONS

 
This page was mainly worked on in the middle of the night - insomniacs R us.  A few days earlier, faced with a blank journal page, I'd challenged myself NOT to paint the background a single colour and to lay down blocks of random mixed up shades.  Below is the result.

I liked it but it sure as heck didn't feel like me.  Anyway, a challenge is a challenge so then I added some strong marks against the background.  Still wasn't sure where it was going .... but I enjoy the journey anyway.
Then, unable to sleep, I got up and did this (that's why the colours look different under the electric light).  The words had been swirling around my head and I'd got up only intending to write them down, but decided I might as well write them on the page.
The other challenge was to use my own handwriting for a change, which would have worked better if I hadn't been writing with a Posca paint pen, which was a bit thick.

However, the result was THIS!  More related to my usual style of working and yet without the coherence that I usually aim for.  But that became the whole point of the piece - sometimes all you can see in your life is light and shade, random colours, some darkness. Yet, if you look for them there are patterns and brightness, so that you can feel part of a greater whole and purpose, even if you can't quite see it.
So out of sleeplessness and night thoughts, comes a wisdom I need to hold onto when life feels random and chaotic, and in particular the Grace at the heart of all things...

4 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Love your page Rosie. Hugs! deb

Emie58 said...

Love your pages and I really appreciate seeing your work in progress photos. You ROCK!!!

alexa said...

I really like the word 'interconnectedness': that's what comes to me, looking at your wonderful colours and shapes ...

Marva said...

Love this! Ran across your blog via Pinterest. It's nice to see someone else is still blogging, there aren't too many of us!
:) Marva